Wednesday 23 October 2019

‘Daddy Issues’ And Such Pain It Causes


I never want to sleep with him again. As a matter of fact, I do not enjoy the sex despite the many screams I make myself make just to raise his ego. If I had my way, I would tell him he stank, I would tell him to wash his teeth a thousand times a day, but who was I to tell him all of those?
He on the other hand acts and sulks like a baby when I reject his advances. He makes it feel as though the whole world has crumbled at our feet; so, majority of the time, out of guilt, I give in to him (or for the most part, knowing how sulky he would become, not reject his advances at all). I wouldn’t know why sex is so much food for him despite him being a married man.
On the other hand, all I wanted, I wanted from him without a touch. I wanted a sense of security, being loved, and for the most part- being wanted. My daddy- a military man while growing up had no time for us, especially for the fact that we were all girls. He would travel all around the country with no responsibility of being a family man, especially a father. He had no idea how much we his daughters needed his presence in our lives. Times he came back, he was like a lion in the house, even in the neighbourhood. Perhaps he thought roaring every time like a lion would chase away men from our house- our house being a bevy of ladies. He would as well leave his sense of terror hanging in the air when he travelled, so men who once knew what his roar looked like, would stay meters away from his house, especially his wife.
My mum as well was a ‘mechanical’ mother.  She was as ‘hard’ as my dad and never knew how to hug. The first, and perhaps last time we hugged was when she was on a sick bed- before she died. That day, I had been so much lost in deep emotions that I had finished hugging and holding her tight before I got to remember hugging was never a part of routine for each other. However, she died the next day.

I’d always longed for someone to love and hold me- that male presence. Coincidentally, my dad has grown old too, wanting all the attention he never gave, but alas, it’s too late. I already learnt to live without him by finding ‘solace’ and ‘love’ in the hands of men who managed to say hi. I’ve found their maturity compelling, especially enough to make me feel seen (noticed), loved, and in some ways- accepted. The way they expect me to respond was giving them back sex. That was the language their own brokenness understood.
The men as well gives me money- in a way that makes me feel like a child, as though I was five again and being catered for; only this time around more keenly. The crave for the loving sense of a man led me to hanging around with men old enough to be my elder brother, and even fathers, and with time though unplanned- made me sleep with them since it felt sleeping with them was the only way I would feel the love and sense of warmth and security a part of my heart needed.
This is not a blame game session. I take responsibility for every action of mine, but what if my dad had constantly told me he loved me? And what if he actually showed it and I felt safe in his person, even in his absence? What if my mum too had hugged me almost every time and told me literally all day how much I meant to her? What if I had felt safe and secured in the shadow of my father? What if he actually made me feel loved, welcomed and keenly cared for- would I have been in the mess I am today? Besides, what mess do you think I am at the moment?
My name is Lara, and above is a little part of my story. We’ll get to talk some other time on the blog I believe. #DaddyIssues.  *sighs*.

Photo Credit: Google

Connect with me on social media via-
Facebook:   Soul Writer
Instagram: cream_legend
Twitter      TheEniolaO

5 comments:

  1. Lara, Thank you for sharing your personal experiences on here. I can actually relate with this because my dad was the busy type as well and most lessons I should have learnt from him, I did learnt from the 'street'. By the time he called me and said we ought to be friends as dad to son relationship. I felt it was late even though it wasn't. But one thing is that I never moved on until I stopped complaining and blaming him for what had happen to me directly or indirectly. That was when I started making progress and stopped waiting for his approval of me. This is a lesson to me especially, to be there for my children as long as we are still together. To as many with this kind of pain in the heart, please FORGIVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Forgiving is key in moving on. In as much as we are yet to read Lara's full story, I pray she finds her healing, as well as her hope. Hopefully through her permission as well, we will get to read her concluding parts.
      Thank you for your comment Akinbayo.

      Delete
  2. Demand for survival economically are sometimes catalysts, not making families bond but then the little moments spent together can be really memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very true. For in the end, most seeming absentee parents are somewhere trying to make a living for their families. The need for affection and provision is where balance comes to play, as both are equally important. God help us all to make the balance, especially when it counts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm! I am not sure if this story is fiction or not but i know the problem is real. In fact, it is actually a more serious problem than it appears on paper and to be honest, i cannot offer a perfect solution. I mean, It is easy to sit somewhere and blame parents for not creating and spending quality time with their children or not showering them with adequate warmth and affection, until you understand the situation most of these parents are in. But still we need to at the least address the issue.

    On one hand, we have parent(s) who are physically absent hence they cannot spend time bonding with their children even if they wanted to... and on the other hand, we have parents who are physically present, yet due to some other reasons they do not spend quality time or bond in anyway with their kids.

    I work overseas and most of my colleagues are expats too, who have left their families back home in order to earn a living and provide for them. Most of these men go years without seeing there wives and kids (most of whom are very young). I once heard a man say, he went back home on annual vacation and his young son didn't even recognize him. It was a heartbreaking moment for him. Of course it is not an ideal situation for these men themselves, they wish they could spend more time with their children but then they will tell you; "a man's gotta do wah a man's gotta do". Meaning, they cannot help it, they simply have to provide for their families.

    Lara seems to do a pretty good job in emphasizing the lack of hugs from her parents while she was growing up and It made me go back memory lane to my own childhood. Now I have absolutely no doubt that my parents loved me as a Child and growing up, my parents were not distant or anything like that but still i don't remember having much quality discussions or bonding time with them. Oh, and I also do not (up till today) remember either of my parents ever giving me a hug or telling me they love me (not even once). Generally speaking, it seems most African parents don't do hugs, but that is not to say they love their kids any less than their counterparts from the western world love their children. It is just not in the African mentality I guess. But I do wish my parents gave me a hug once in a while especially when I was a child. Those little things mean a whole lot to a Child.

    But how can this issue be tackled? I am not sure how much catching up a parent and child can do in a month but My advice for parents who are working overseas like many of my colleagues is that they make the most of their annual leave back home by ensuring that they spend quality time with their kids when they are at home. They key for them should be "quality" and not "quantity" (remember my own parents were not away but yet I didn't really feel their warmth or affection). At the end of the day, it is dangerous for parents to prioritize their jobs and other engagements at the expense of spending quality time with their kids.

    Our fathers especially need to know that good parenting goes beyond providing food on the table and paying house rent, school fees, electricity bills. No joke; Absence of one or both parents can indeed have a negative influence on the child when he or she grows older.

    ReplyDelete