Saturday 12 September 2020

What Was The First Thing You Thought About That One Time You Thought You Would Die?

As a child, I was told I’d had a bit of health scares. The first I was told was when I took chloroquine and almost passed out as a result. All because I happened to be allergic to chloroquine but no one knew. My mum even though a practicing doctor at the time said she was very scared.

The second time was when I took yellow yam (called Esuru in local Yoruba language). My mum said the same thing – I almost passed out and once again, they were very scared. While I have been able to take Yellow Yam after the incidence as I got older, I still happen to be allergic to chloroquine.

However, as an adult, I remember one health scare I had. It was during the time of Ebola – 2014. I had entered a bus, and a child from nowhere had vomited beside me. Coincidentally, days after the experience, I became ill and was experiencing some core symptoms of Ebola – vomiting, diarrhea, temperature and the likes. Funny isn’t it?

While I laid on my bed afraid of what could be as a result of my experience in the bus few days prior, one thing laid in my heart that I couldn’t let go. The books I wanted to write, and such I could have written. Nothing else mattered to me save for that. Even though I was scheduled to go for my Masters in the UK at the time, it never came as a regret on my ‘dying bed’.

It’s been said that the thing you think about times you’ve thought death was inevitable for you are the things that really matters. The regret or pain that fills you is a great pointer to what matters. For some, it was the pain of not spending enough time with their family, for others, like me then, it was the pain of not being able to fulfill what they perceive as their purpose for living.

Have you ever had a health scare? What was your thought at that moment? If you stare at death’s face like most people have in their course of living, what would matter to you most at that point? Seek that thing out and try to make amends if needed, and in the case of purpose, try to pursue it all you can, despite the many obstacles you would face.

Considering the transient nature of life, all that would matter when we are gone would be the legacy the passion in our heart made us leave behind. I.e - the love of humanity we carried in our heart that made us pursue what we felt mattered and would be of use to humanity, as well as the genuine care we showed to the people around us.

Photo Credit: powergreaterthanourselves.wordpress.com

Connect with me on social media via-
Facebook:   Soul Writer
Instagram: cream_legend
Twitter      TheEniolaO
LinkedIn:    Eniola Olaosebikan
Email: soulwriteralways@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. "It’s been said that the thing you think about times you’ve thought death was inevitable for you are the things that really matter" Absolutely so. And its surprising how most things we noremalky think matter don't at that instant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ And its surprising how most things we noremalky think matter don't at that instant!

      Very true!

      Thanks sis for weighing in

      Delete