Wednesday 20 February 2019

Who Is Finer? Me Or Her?


Have you ever had a time where all you saw was you? A time where you were so immersed in your own world that you literally saw no one? Well, I have. I guess then I was in my early teens. All I saw was me. As a matter of fact, I never knew anyone whose feet were more beautiful, or perhaps whose arms were slenderer: not because I was full of praise and admiration for myself, but because I never saw myself in the first place, not to talk of seeing another. All I knew was that I had a body and my name is called Eniola. So any time the name is called, I went with my body to take ownership of it. I was Eniola Olaosebikan and that was all that mattered- not my feet, my legs nor my hips.  I left for school every day in my body with perhaps the maximum care I could give it, but then, without a care of how it differed from someone else’. It was a point where I never really saw me, not to talk of seeing someone else.

But then, that time came; the time my eyes suddenly opened as though I ate the apple Eve ate. I began to see whose arms were slimmer, whose skin was more golden and perhaps whose feet were cuter. I not only began to take note of myself, but also of others.  But then, the more I saw, and perhaps searched, the more all I saw were differences, never similarities. Then suddenly, I began to feel all alone in the world, because no one for some reasons was like me. The more I compared, the more I saw things I thought I didn’t like about myself and in contrast saw things I loved more in others. I began to lose the primal love I had for myself though I never knew it existed. Almost everybody that had what I seemed not to have either suddenly became prettier or perhaps I suddenly became prettier than them. The comparison I believe made me form caucuses with some in my league and others either below or seemingly above.  Aside from the love now seemingly lost, I also began to lose the self-respect I had for myself I never knew existed as well. Slowly, like a ceiling fan disconnected from its source of electricity, I began to take my eyes off myself till finally I fixed it on someone else, or should I say other people’s? People whose ground it appeared I would love to worship. 
But then, one thing I’m eternally grateful for was that it never took me so long before I began to put my gaze back on myself. This time around however, in a conscious way. How did it happen? I realized two major things- 
1.       The fact that I am a Masterpiece and that there is no one else like me.

2.       That my body is just a container, a container to be thrown away after the liquid- my assignment- is done.

 Article continues here








2 comments:

  1. There's a saying that says ''if have got to be successful, have got to be me. Then, have got to know who me is''. You are the special Eniola Olaosebikan (Aug7Damsel). Elegant with style and class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, and for being a great friend of the blog.

      Delete